I'd like to observe

Alex Iadicicco

• Members
    • View Profile
I'd like to observe
« on: March 12, 2009, 09:53:51 PM »
Is there a way I can simply observe or listen to the atc/pilot communication? Do I have to pass the exam first?

I'm using ASRC, but I don't have the sector files for the area I'd like to get to know (Phoenix Sky Harbor, KPHX), and I don't know if they are necessary.

I'm new to the whole VATSIM, ATC thing. I'm going to need a lot of guidance for these first steps. Thanks in advance.

--alex

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
I'd like to observe
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 12:05:49 AM »
Hi Alex,

Well, firstly, welcome to VATSIM. I'm sure you'll have a good time.

You might want to consider using VRC for observing and initial training on VATSIM. ASRC is older software compared to VRC, and generally speaking, VRC is easier to use for first-time members. ASRC is still an excellent program, but you might want to hold off on it until you're experienced enough to use it proficiently (VRC is a point-and-click-based client, while ASRC is mostly memorized dot commands).

Anyway, yes, you can still observe without having to take any exams. To do this, you'll need to have the sector file for the area in which you'd like to observe loaded in your radar client (VRC or ASRC). These can be found at the websites of each facility. If you're looking for Phoenix Sky Harbor sector files, you can find them at the Albuquerque ARTCC website, http://www.zabartcc.org/ . A full list of VATUSA ARTCCs is available on the right hand panel of www.vatusa.net.

Once you have the sector file loaded, you'll want to connect to the network to observe. In VRC or ASRC, go to File --> Connect, at which point a new box will appear with fields in which you can input your connection information. Use an observer callsign such as ZAB_OBS (ZAB is the three-letter identifier for the Albuquerque ARTCC, and OBS indicates that you are an observer) when connecting. Then enter your name. Select "Observer" from the facility drop-down menu and the rating drop-down menu. Then enter your VATSIM CID and password, select a server, and click connect. You'll also probably want to adjust your visibility range from the default 600 down to something around 50 miles, more or less depending on what sector file you're using. To do this in VRC, go to Settings --> General --> Airspace [tab] --> Visibility slider. To do this in ASRC, go to Settings and adjust the slider.

For more information on ASRC, visit www.asrc.info, and for more information on VRC (including an observers' guide), go to www.metacraft.com/vrc .

Alex Iadicicco

• Members
    • View Profile
I'd like to observe
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 01:44:58 AM »
Thank you.

And while I'm on the topic of still trying to figure things out, is there a reason I can't see any of the runways? Here's a screenshot of VRC in the Sky Harbor area with everything in the "View" menu (except for "Fix Labels") selected.

[img]http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7043/vrcshot.jpg\\\" border=\\\"0\\\" class=\\\"linked-image\\\" /]
(I adjusted the brightness to make things easier to see)

There's no runway information. It's no big deal, but it's kinda frustrating that I can't see the runways.

I'm pretty sure I've got the right sector files. I got them from here: http://www.zabartcc.org/controllers/sectorpacks.php. I don't see why there wouldn't be any runway information in those files.

So am I supposed to not be able to see the runways and just have to trust that the pilots are on the right runways, or is there something missing? I'm new to the whole ATC thing in general. I've played with ATC simulators before (like on atc-sim.com), but I have absolutely no clue what the real world is like (though I've received some enlightenment from reading the training study guides).

--alex

Justin A. Martin

• Members
    • View Profile
I'd like to observe
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 10:46:12 AM »
You need to go into "View-Diagrams" and look in the SIDs section... the first one you'll see is "+ PHX Airport Diagram"... click that.

Justin

Mark Dunham

• Members
    • View Profile
I'd like to observe
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 12:38:19 PM »
Quote from: Alex Iadicicco
Is there a way I can simply observe or listen to the atc/pilot communication? Do I have to pass the exam first?

I'm using ASRC, but I don't have the sector files for the area I'd like to get to know (Phoenix Sky Harbor, KPHX), and I don't know if they are necessary.

I'm new to the whole VATSIM, ATC thing. I'm going to need a lot of guidance for these first steps. Thanks in advance.

--alex

I'm very, very new. And want to observe. I got VRC and ZNB sector files. I loaded the sector file in VRC. When I try to connect I get an error that mi CID/Password is invalid. This is my vatsim ID and Password, isn't it?

Thanks, Mark

Alex Bailey

• Members
    • View Profile
I'd like to observe
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 01:01:58 PM »
Confirm you are using your VATSIM ID and your VATSIM password to log into VRC. If you need to have it sent to you, you can go to the VATSIM homepage and select "Member Services".

Mark Dunham

• Members
    • View Profile
I'd like to observe
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 02:58:06 PM »
Quote from: Alex Bailey
Confirm you are using your VATSIM ID and your VATSIM password to log into VRC. If you need to have it sent to you, you can go to the VATSIM homepage and select "Member Services".

Thanks,

I finally got logged in. I couldn't login to to USA-S1. But cut USA-S3.

Mark

Alex Bailey

• Members
    • View Profile
I'd like to observe
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 06:06:50 PM »
Excellent!

Let us know if you have any further questions.