Sector Files

Charles Simmer

• Members
    • View Profile
Sector Files
« on: October 25, 2017, 02:12:51 PM »
is there a sector file or "addon" that i can download to give me the Entire US map, airports, boundaries, etc?

Camden Bruno

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
Re: Sector Files
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 02:39:30 PM »
No, there is not. Even if there was, there would not be a point considering your visibility range wouldn't be able to be big enough to cover that entire area.

Charles Simmer

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 02:42:58 PM »
Thanks, not looking to cover the area, just like to have reference points on screen for certain places. like if i wanted to see a full route, etc. thanks anyway.

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 04:14:20 PM »
Charles, are you necessarily looking to do that on a radar scope, or is a site like skyvector.com more helpful for that?
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Charles Simmer

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 04:16:45 PM »
i would like it on the radar screen, i'm naturally curious and don't want to retype a route into a separate site to look up a visual a/c route.

Matthew Kosmoski

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 04:52:07 PM »
Bear in mind that most (if not all FEs) strip the airports, navaids, airways, and fixes (not just videomaps and geo details) in their sector files in order to keep the file sizes and memory usage manageable.  With those missing, you'd wind up losing visibility outside of whatever radius they use.  A sector map with all of that would be exceptionally large, but you could certainly create one yourself.  The documentation and many tools are freely available online.

That being said, when I need to see a full route for whatever reason (of which I've found very few), I tend to load it in Skyvector since it can plot procedures, which VRC cannot.

Camden Bruno

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 06:00:26 PM »
I tend to load it in Skyvector since it can plot procedures, which VRC cannot.
+1