FlightSimExpo Announces 2018 Date and Location

Evan Reiter

• Instructors
    • View Profile
    • Boston Virtual ARTCC
FlightSimExpo Announces 2018 Date and Location
« on: December 08, 2017, 04:00:20 PM »
Posted with the permission of the VATUSA Events Coordinator and VATUSA1.

As many of you may know, a team of members from Boston Virtual ARTCC has launched FlightSimExpo, North America’s only community-driven flight simulation conference. With support from Orbx, X-Plane, and almost 30 other flight simulation organizations, FlightSimExpo is proud to be an event created by the flight simulation community.

Our team will be working closely with Matt from VATUSA to welcome ARTCCs from across the division to the event, and give interested controllers and VATUSA members the opportunity to participate in live controlling from the venue.

I encourage you to check out our press release (below), and to visit the conference on social media. Please follow FSExpo on Twitter and like the conference on Facebook for updates. Or visit our newly-released website at www.flightsimexpo.com.

I’d welcome any questions, input, feedback, or ideas here on this thread, or by email at [email protected].

Interest in the first annual FlightSimExpo has taken off – with more than 25 organizations expressing initial commitment to making the new event in Las Vegas a huge success. Interested attendees are encouraged to follow the conference on Twitter (@FlightSimExpo) and ‘like’ the conference on Facebook (facebook.com/FlightSimExpo) to stay up to date.

LAS VEGAS – December 8 – FlightSimExpo 2018, a new, community-driven flight simulation conference, will be held the weekend of June 9-10, 2018 at Flamingo Las Vegas Resort. Located in the heart of the Las Vegas Strip and minutes from the airport, Flamingo Las Vegas Resort has newly-renovated rooms, modern meeting space, a great rewards program, and features a Caribbean-style water park and tropical wildlife habitat.

FlightSimExpo 2018 will feature a variety of interactive exhibits, and a host of educational and informative seminars from professionals across the aviation and flight simulation industries. In addition, there will be social events after conference hours for networking and connecting with other simulation enthusiasts, aviation professionals, and developers from across the simulation industry.

The conference was formed by a group of community organizers from Boston Virtual ARTCC who have years of experience in flight simulation, aviation, and event planning. FSExpo plans to bring simulation enthusiasts, current and former aviation professionals, and anyone else who has an interest in flight simulation or aviation together to witness the advances and developments within the industry. This conference is truly community-driven: the venue, host city, and activities have all been determined by feedback from the community and developers. Early support from Orbx, X-Plane, and almost 30 others have helped turn this event into a reality.

In addition to Orbx and X-Plane, the following exhibitors and sponsors have confirmed planned participation in the event: Aerosoft, AirDailyX, Boston Virtual ARTCC, FlyTampa, FSFX Packages, FSElite, HiFi Simulation, iBlueYonder, Infinite-Flight, Javiator, Jetline Systems, Just Flight, PilotEdge, PILOT’S, Prepar3D, POSCON, TFDi Design, VATSTAR, and more!

“One of our biggest goals for this conference is to foster collaboration, and connect members of the flight simulation and aviation community that might otherwise not have the opportunity to come together,” noted Evan Reiter, one of the conference organizers. “Las Vegas provides an unbeatable backdrop for the first edition of the conference, and gives attendees and partners alike access to world-class dining and entertainment all weekend,” he continued.

Early bird registration will start at just $50 for the weekend, and a 3-night stay at the FlightSimExpo special event rate will be approximately $135/night, including all taxes and fees.

Visit www.flightsimexpo.com for more information about the event and venue. Interested attendees are also encouraged to follow FSExpo on Twitter (@FlightSimExpo) and like the conference on Facebook (facebook.com/FlightSimExpo) for updates.

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC Community Manager
[email protected]

Tony Jeppesen

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: FlightSimExpo Announces 2018 Date and Location
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 01:09:41 PM »
So are other ARTCCs invited to setup a booth and exhibit their facilities or is this another exclusive ZBW only event?
Tony Jeppesen - C3
ZSE ARTCC

Retired VATUSA2, VATUSA7, VATUSA10

Rick Rump

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
    • vZDC
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 01:18:41 PM »
CET property, losing so much $. Nice to we you guys could take advantage of it.

Given that it’s Vegas (and I know it’s far out), can we expect cannily clad women?

I look forward to finally attending this Con though.
VATUSA Deputy Director Emeritus
Former ZDC ATM, DATM, TA & WM
VATSIM Supervisor | Team 5

Matthew Bartels

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 03:46:57 PM »
So are other ARTCCs invited to setup a booth and exhibit their facilities or is this another exclusive ZBW only event?

VATUSA is planning on attending. We are looking forward to participating and exhibiting all of our great ATC Facilities.
Matt Bartels - MT
VP Marketing and Communication
VATSIM Board of Governors

Evan Reiter

• Instructors
    • View Profile
    • Boston Virtual ARTCC
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 05:33:29 PM »
I look forward to finally attending this though.
Thanks Rick! Would be great to finally meet you.

Yes, as Matt said, FSExpo looks forward to working with VATUSA to welcome anyone who wishes to participate in the event. I expect VATUSA will want to present a "single USA" setup, with VATUSA attending the event "as one" community. In that capacity, we would have several controlling stations available for VATUSA members to demonstrate our capabilities across the United States. Obviously, BVA will be well-represented, and will likely have some pilot setups available for FSExpo attendees to try, depending on how much space we have available. However, all of that really is a call for VATUSA, and not ZBW/BVA, so Matt, you and I need to get together at some point soon :).

For the record, and as someone in VATUSA leadership should know, there has never been an "exclusive ZBW-only event".

Evan Reiter
[email protected]

Brad Littlejohn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 01:15:53 AM »
I look forward to finally attending this though.
Thanks Rick! Would be great to finally meet you.

Yes, as Matt said, FSExpo looks forward to working with VATUSA to welcome anyone who wishes to participate in the event. I expect VATUSA will want to present a "single USA" setup, with VATUSA attending the event "as one" community. In that capacity, we would have several controlling stations available for VATUSA members to demonstrate our capabilities across the United States. Obviously, BVA will be well-represented, and will likely have some pilot setups available for FSExpo attendees to try, depending on how much space we have available. However, all of that really is a call for VATUSA, and not ZBW/BVA, so Matt, you and I need to get together at some point soon :).

For the record, and as someone in VATUSA leadership should know, there has never been an "exclusive ZBW-only event".

Hmm... I wonder if you may want to get ZLA involved. Perfect spot for an event, from say, ZBW to ZLA and spaces inbetween, all at the floor of what is in ZLA's yard, plus this could roll in perfect if one wanted to get a rep from L30 to come by and talk Vegas Tower and how we roll at KLAS...

..Not that I'm biased or anything.. ;)

BL.

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 06:30:02 AM »
I guess a point of order or two....

FlightSimExpo is a new event; this will be its first incarnation.  The organizers were key members of the FlightSimCon leadership team, and were largely responsible for that event's success over the past several years, but they have branched off to start this new event.  And yes, they are all members of ZBW.  But the fact that they are members of ZBW in no way means there is any exclusivity involved.  Note that in 2018 FlightSimExpo will be in ZLA's home turf, and FlightSimCon will be in ZFW's home turf.

As evidenced by FlightSimCon 2017, VATSIM and VATUSA and BVA were well represented at FlightSimCon 2017.  VATSIM and VATUSA and BVA as exhibitors, and BVA had a significant presence due to the fact that the event is in ZBW's backyard plus the tie that BVA has had to the event for many years.  That said, during the entire conference, there were at least 4, and sometimes more, VATUSA ARTCCs represented at all times, with scopes going and controllers engaging with the public, explaining what our part of the hobby does.  And, in a few cases, a VA that was in the exhibition room adjacent to the VATUSA space was flying in and out of multiple facilities, and we were engaging both online and "across the room" so hobbyists could see not only the "both sides of the scope" portion of our hobby, but see the camaraderie as well.  VATUSA and VATSIM were well represented, and we hope to be at FlightSimExpo and FlightSimCon as well.  Participating in such events, regardless of who the organizers are, extend our reach within the hobby, hopefully drawing more people in to take a look not only at the flight simming hobby, but more importantly into VATSIM and VATUSA.  That's the hook; our camaraderie, sense of community, culture, communication, engagement and effectiveness are what will keep folks positively engaged in our hobby and our community over the long run.

I am assuming (but will check) that VATSIM will look to VATUSA to be the driving force in representing both VATUSA and VATSIM as a whole to the community.  As such, Matt is and will be working with the event organizers from both events to see how we best fit in, and work with all of VATUSA to ensure we are best represented.  We did well this past year, but with anything we do, there are lessons learned.  Perhaps we'll be able to employ those and impact an even greater percentage of the online flight simming community in 2018.  Brad, I like your idea, and trust Matt will engage with you and the FlightSimExpo organizers to capitalize.
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Toby Rice

• Members
    • View Profile
    • ZJX ARTCC
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 10:18:06 AM »
I'm planning to attend this event, so if anyone could use me for anything, I'll be there.  Hopefully, my schedule lines up next year.
Toby Rice
Jacksonville ARTCC
ACE Team | Former HCF ATM | Former ATC Instructor

Evan Reiter

• Instructors
    • View Profile
    • Boston Virtual ARTCC
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 11:09:57 PM »
I've just sent the following press release out to the usual suspects. For anyone from VATUSA thinking about attending the event, I would strongly encourage registration before February 1, as it's never getting cheaper than this. Hotel reservation is also open now.

Our current list of Launch Partners: 1C Game Studios, Aerosoft, AirDailyX, Boston Virtual ARTCC, FlyTampa, FSFX Packages, FSElite, GoFlight, HiFi Simulation Technologies, iBlueYonder, Infinite-Flight, Javiator, Jetline Systems, Just Flight, Mindstar Aviation, Orbx, PilotEdge, PILOT’S, Prepar3D, POSCON, QualityWings, SimFlight, TFDi Design, VATSIM, VATUSA, VATSTAR, and X-Plane.

---

FlightSimExpo 2018, North America’s new community-driven flight simulation conference, has officially opened attendee registration! The conference welcomes the public of all ages to join us on June 9-10, 2018 at Flamingo Las Vegas Resort.

Attendees can register now by visiting www.flightsimexpo.com.

Early bird registration is just $50 for the entire weekend. This will include full access to the tradeshow floor and the seminars taking place on both event days. Register now: there are already more than 30 Launch Partners who have made an initial commitment to attend! Included are some of the biggest names in flight simulation like Aerosoft, Orbx, Prepar3D, SimFlight, X-Plane, and many more. The list is expected to grow as exhibitors and sponsors are announced in early 2018.

Registration prices go up to $70 on February 1, so attendees are encouraged to register early and take advantage of the best pricing.

Rooms at the event venue, Flamingo Las Vegas Resort, are just $119/night for Friday and Saturday night, and $59/night on all other nights. A $20/night resort fee and 13.38% county tax will apply. Attendees can book their hotel rooms online now by visiting flightsimexpo.com/hotel.

As many will know, the conference was formed by a group of community organizers from a VATUSA facility who have years of experience in flight simulation, aviation, and event planning. FlightSimExpo plans to bring simulation enthusiasts, current and former aviation professionals, and anyone else who has an interest in flight simulation or aviation together to witness the advances and developments within the industry. The conference is truly community-driven, and the venue, host city, and event activities have all been established in response to feedback from the community and developers.

Follow FlightSimExpo on Twitter (@FlightSimExpo) and like the conference on Facebook (FlightSimExpo) for the latest updates.

Evan Reiter
[email protected]

Robert Reifsnyder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 03:10:05 AM »
I'm going to make plans on joining this venture and represent the ZAB ARTCC.  It'll be tough keeping me away from the poker room though....
Robert Reifsnyder
Albuquerque ARTCC

Brad Littlejohn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 02:06:17 AM »
I'm going to make plans on joining this venture and represent the ZAB ARTCC.  It'll be tough keeping me away from the poker room though....

As someone living in Vegas, I'll tell you that keeping someone away from the poker room is the easy part...

Keeping someone away from the buffets.. It's easier to pull your two front teeth with 20 pair of oxen than to pull someone from a buffet!

Especially that Carnival World Buffet at the Rio... that's some good grub there!  :P

Oh, wait.. I forgot.. there's the parking area parallel next to the 26s at KLAS, with ATC piped in over FM radio.. that's a much harder place to be pulled from! ;)

BL.

Evan Reiter

• Instructors
    • View Profile
    • Boston Virtual ARTCC
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 11:39:08 AM »
Oh, wait.. I forgot.. there's the parking area parallel next to the 26s at KLAS, with ATC piped in over FM radio.. that's a much harder place to be pulled from! ;)
Can you tell me more about this, or toss me a web link? Sounds like something we should definitely be telling attendees about.

Evan Reiter
[email protected]

Derek Vento

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 12:02:49 PM »
Tickets booked!!
Derek Vento
Air Traffic Controller Atlanta TRACON
Host of The Traffic Pattern Podcast

Evan Reiter

• Instructors
    • View Profile
    • Boston Virtual ARTCC
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 12:11:54 PM »
Tickets booked!!

Awesome! I'm going to be sending you an email after the holidays about whether you might be interested in giving a presentation or doing something during the event. Your posts on these forums about ATC have been fantastic. I'm thinking people would be interested in seeing that come to life...if it's something you're up for.

Evan Reiter
[email protected]

Derek Vento

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 12:13:05 PM »
Evan, you know I’m game!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 03:39:18 AM by Derek Vento »
Derek Vento
Air Traffic Controller Atlanta TRACON