Linked Events

• May The 4th Be With You FNO: May 04, 2018

May The 4th Be With You FNO

Ryan Pitt

• Members
    • View Profile
May The 4th Be With You FNO
« on: December 15, 2017, 10:10:06 AM »

Join ZKC for our first FNO of the year at Kansas City (KMCI). Be sure to watch out for the Death Star and the Millennium Falcon in the vicinity of the airport. A pilot briefing will be available closer to the event date.

Here are a few reminders to consider prior to flying this event:

*Please look over the pilot briefing provided above.
*Have updated scenery. This can just be an AFCAD.
*PDC's will be issued to all CPDLC capable aircraft. If you do not receive a PDC, or are not CPDLC capable, please call delivery for your voice clearance. You will most likely need an amended route if you're CPDLC capable and you didn't get a PDC.
*It is important that on initial contact with the first approach controller and ground controller that you have the current ATIS info.

ZKC looks forward to seeing you!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 03:06:02 PM by Ryan Pitt »

Thomas Harbauer

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: May The 4th Be With You FNO
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 07:02:03 PM »
Pilot brief available soon?

Kyle Kaestner

• ZKC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 09:02:13 PM »
Pilot Brief Available here: https://goo.gl/dyQuHH

Clay Brock

• ZHU Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 10:25:25 PM »
Here is a time lapse of my flight analysis. It starts overhead the JHAWK intersection on the edge of the MCI TRACON at 8:15PM, and ends at 9:45PM. The video was compressed 128x in the sim, and an additional 8x in post editing. The total time from JHAWK to touchdown was about 1hr and 30mins

Link to time lapse: https://gyazo.com/b466bd2660d6f91c3aaac6af76fc4dd5

Matt Bromback

• ZJX Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 07:19:03 AM »
Here is a time lapse of my flight analysis. It starts overhead the JHAWK intersection on the edge of the MCI TRACON at 8:15PM, and ends at 9:45PM. The video was compressed 128x in the sim, and an additional 8x in post editing. The total time from JHAWK to touchdown was about 1hr and 30mins

Nice little time lapse!

I noticed on VATSPY at one point I counted 51 arrivals in a 30 minute period. Real world AAR rate for that airport is 52/hr. So basically the airport saw double the capacity of what it can handle in the RW.

Jeremy Peterson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 08:44:38 AM »

Nice little time lapse!

I noticed on VATSPY at one point I counted 51 arrivals in a 30 minute period. Real world AAR rate for that airport is 52/hr. So basically the airport saw double the capacity of what it can handle in the RW.

You might want to check your math. If you got 51 arrivals in 30 minutes and then none in the following 30 minutes, you’ve achieved a total arrival rate of 51. If you had 51 arrivals in both periods, then it would be double the real world rate. It’s a small discrepancy but worth mentioning.

Robert Shearman Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Slant Alpha Adventures
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 09:09:02 AM »
I dispute your interpretation of the English word "rate."

Otherwise, every speeding ticket I've ever gotten was invalid.

:-)

Matt Bromback

• ZJX Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 06:28:24 AM »

Nice little time lapse!

You might want to check your math. If you got 51 arrivals in 30 minutes and then none in the following 30 minutes, you’ve achieved a total arrival rate of 51. If you had 51 arrivals in both periods, then it would be double the real world rate. It’s a small discrepancy but worth mentioning.

Regardless if I check my math....51 arrivals in a 30 minute period does not work for a airport such as KMCI. As clearly shown above with the time lapse the holding, crazy vectoring, was all due to traffic saturation.

This is a trending problem week after week nowadays. FNO or any event goes on for 3 to 4 hours, there is usually some time period where the traffic far exceeds capacity (runways, radio congestion, pilots not complying, etc...) There is a lot of discussion I hear lately about TMU and if it should division led or ARTCC led, either way I think it would be extremely beneficial to have a small group of people watching over an event to help out with TMU. Makes a huge difference in the long run of a event.

Robert Shearman Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Slant Alpha Adventures
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 08:50:07 AM »
This is a trending problem week after week nowadays.
While true, it's a good problem to have.  Far better than than opposite problem!